Can This WordPress Hosting Platform Honestly Live Up To Its Claim That It Really Is The ‘Very Best’ On The Market? High Self-Praise Indeed – But Is It True…?
Pretty much everyone nowadays has a website. Whether it’s for business use, a personal blog, a way to make a few dollars on the side… And most of us are not software experts – unable to write our own programs. And this means that we use a simple way of creating a website. And the most powerful, popular (and simple to use, initially) seems to be WordPress.
So when we came across WP Engine, the self-proclaimed ‘best fully-managed WordPress hosting platform,’ on offer, we have to admit to being a little taken aback. After all, isn’t WordPress meant to be something you can set up and use yourself – with no hassle? Errr, in theory this is true, but in practice – unless you’re a techy whizz kid – isn’t quite so true. So it doesn’t take long for most of us to realize that we’re gonna need a hosting platform. And it’s for that very reason that we decided to delve right into exactly what WP Engine can offer, and whether or not it can live up to it’s outlandish claims.
Read on to discover what we found out. The results may well surprise you…
What do you get for your money?
Okay then, so WP Engine is a fully managed hosting platform for websites using WordPress. And by fully managed, this means that they literally take care of everything for you. This includes the following:
- Fast: In fact, insanely fast. The guys at WP Engine hand-tune their programs on a daily basis to ensure that they provide the very fasted WordPress hosting you can find.
- Expert Support: In all things WordPress. One very interesting (and amazing) promise is that the company doesn’t have ‘levels of support’ that have become so commonplace. They promise that everyone on their staff is a WordPress expert – meaning whoever you get on the end of the phone will be able to answer any queries you might have.
- Back Up Included: In every plan offered. Proactively secured, allowing you to rest assured that your website is a fortress. Also included is a one-click back up and restore option.
- Curated Plugins & Themes: Helping you discover the best plugin for your site/s. After all, you don’t need to waste hours of your time struggling to understand which WordPress theme might work best for you. The experts at WP Engine will work with you to find the answers, whatever your needs might be.
- Power Tools: Specifically developed tools and services that can help you build the very best custom WordPress site/s for your needs.
- Assistance with Moving your Site: Exactly as it suggests, WP Engine will help you move your site across, but hey won’t lock you in.
And lots, lots more besides…
Who is it for?
Got a website? Or thinking of getting one? Well, if you’re not a software expert (and let’s face it, not many of us are…), then you’re really going to need a managed hosting solution. You may not think so at first, especially if you’re just starting out small, but once you start getting regular hits, you’re going to want to start customizing your site. And that ain’t easy, believe us…
Plus, ALL websites are ripe for hacking. Yes, even your small one… And the last thing anyone needs is to try and logon to their WP site, only to find that some b*!$£*d has taken control… From the single website owner to the multi-site business, having a fast, secure and reliable fully managed web hosting platform means you never have to worry about issues such as these again.
Who the Team Behind WP Engine?
You only need look at the WP Engine website to see the faces behind the company. But rather than focus on the individuals, we thought we’d talk about what they actually represent. The ethos behind the business is that they’re customer inspired, and they want to do whatever is right for both the customer and the company. WP Engine claim to be the best at what they do, but they still aspire to get better. They chose long-term investment over short-term gain, and that’s why one of the company mottos is that they’re ‘built to last.’
- You can chooser from one of four different monthly plans, depending on your needs. This covers the single website user, right through to the biggest possible, with as many websites as you like and millions of visits per month.
- Thankfully, WP Engine don’t lock you into their service. It really is a monthly pay as you go. So if at any point you want to leave, you’re free to do so at any time.
- One of the nicest things about WP Engine is that when you need to speak to someone – be it an engineer, tech support or other advice – that you’ll get to know these folks by name.
- There are a whole bunch of hosting features that have been created from feedback given from WordPress site owners. Plus if you’re worried about hacking, you can sleep easy knowing that WP Engine is automatically scanning for (and fixing), many hacking attempts. And they also offer a guarantee that if the worst should ever happen, that they’ll fix it immediately – for free!
- So, probably the biggest so-called ‘con’ is your own doubts that you actually need a fully managed WordPress web hosting system. After all, you’ve managed fine up until now, so why should you shell out your hard earned cash on something you don’t consider necessary? Okay, so this may well be true, but you sure can’t beat the advantages you’ll reap from having an expert team behind you. Good websites are hard to come by, and many a rookie makes the mistake of thinking that they can do everything themselves. And what about when your business grows? Are you still going to be able to spare the time to do everything you need to when it comes to web management? It’s a choice that only you can make, but one that needs careful consideration.
The Bottom Line
So, we started this review saying that we thought WP Engine was certainly blowing their own trumpet pretty loudly. But actually, now that we’ve delved deep into what they’re all about, we have to say that it’s pretty well deserved.
This is a great fully managed WordPress hosting platform. Run by guys (and gals) who know exactly what they’re doing, for folks just like you. We love the way you’re not tied into any crazy contract, and the fact that there are different levels dependent on your personal needs. In a nutshell, we have to say that if you’re looking for a service such as this, you could do far worse than go with WP Engine. Well done guys, you’re doing a sterling job…